Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Motor Vehicles FAQ

Can I register a vehicle even if my name is not on the title?

Yes, HOWEVER, you will need required documents in order to register the vehicle if your name is not on the title.

1. Have the purchaser sign the back of the title where it says Buyer Signature/Purchaser Signature. Print off a TR-212a and have the purchaser sign at the bottom of the form where it says Owner's Signature. Bring in the title documents, proof of insurance, signature form (TR-212a), and payment, and we will register the vehicle without the owner in the office.


Do I have a Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) and need a US DOT #?

Beginning January 1, 2014, Motor Carriers will no longer pay ad-valorem tax (tax based on value), nor personal property tax on Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV). With the passage of HB2557 during the 2012 legislative session, CMVs will pay a new "Commercial vehicle fee" that will be collected at the time of registration. Intrastate (do not travel outside the state of Kansas) CMVs will receive a new registration plate that will have a screen printed "COMMERCIAL" at the bottom of the plate.

How do I get a Disabled parking Plate/Placard?

You will need a Certification of Disability for Disabled Parking Placard and/or Plate, form TR-159, completed and signed by a Healing Arts licensed Professional (doctor). Instructions and information concerning obtaining a disabled parking placard and/or plate are on the form, TR-159. Take or mail this form to the local county treasurer's motor vehicle office to make application for the disabled parking placard and/or plate. You may have up to two (2) disabled parking devices (one license plate and one placard or two placards).

How do I take a lien off of my title?

NOTE: You are NOT REQUIRED to obtain a reissued title after the lien is satisfied (paid off).You can sell the vehicle with your title that shows a lien holder on the front if you have a release of lien from the lien holder, giving both to the buyer. However, if the title and the lien release are lost, a new lien release will be required before making application for a reissued title, which will be used as the replacement title.

I have lost my title. How do I obtain a duplicate?

If there is a lien holder on file with the Kansas Division of Vehicles for the vehicle, a duplicate title application cannot be issued as long as the lien holder is indicated on the vehicle's computer record. To determine if there is a lien holder listed on the vehicle record look at the latest registration receipt issued for the vehicle or trailer. If there is a lien holder listed, a lien release will be required before the Division of Vehicles will issue a title (it will be a reissue title to remove the lien holder from the computer record and the title).

What are your hours and locations?

  • Main Office - Douglas County Courthouse
  • 1100 Massachusetts St, 1st Level
  • Lawrence, KS 66044
  • Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  • Baldwin City Satellite Office
  • 112 8th St. (Baldwin City Market)
  • Office Hours: Open one week a month: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. (noon) - 4:00 p.m. (closed for lunch from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. noon)
  • South Satellite Office
  • 2000 W 31st Street Suite B
  • Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

What do I need to do to change my name on my registration?

To remove a name(s): At least one of the current owners must remain on the title as an owner. Use the assignment on the back of the title. Complete the purchaser's name space on the back of the title under "Name of Purchaser" as the name(s) are to appear on the new title. If there is a lien holder for the vehicle, a Lienholder's Consent to Transfer Ownership, form TR-128, must be completed.

What do I need to do to get a personalized plate?

The registered owner of a car, light truck, or motorcycle may apply for a personalized license plate by providing the current registration receipt for their vehicle, two to four choices for lettering, and payment of the special plate application fee. The fee to order a personalized plate is $45.50 for auto, truck, and motorcycles. To lookup personalized plates, please visit the Kansas Department of Revenue's Personalized Plate Lookup (external link).