Skip to content Skip to navigation

Property and Taxes FAQ

Who do I call to report a down/damaged/confusing road sign?

If the immediate safety of traffic is at risk due to a missing traffic control sign, i.e. a STOP sign, then you should contact the appropriate law enforcement agency by dialing 911. Other rural sign problems concerning down or damaged signs should be reported to the Public Works Department Operations Division at 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS, by telephone at 785-331-1330.

If you have questions concerning traffic safety issues and the possible need for additional signs or any other questions you may call the Public Works Department at 785-832-5293. 

Who is in charge of maintaining the road in front of my house?

There are several agencies located within Douglas County with rural roadway maintenance responsibilities. State and Federal highways are maintained by the Kansas Department of Transportation. Other major rural routes are maintained by the Douglas County Public Works Department. Local rural roads are maintained by individual townships. Please see the Douglas County Road Map for your specific location, or visit the Roads page to identify which agency is responsible for your specific road(s).

Who needs to list personal property for taxation?

K.S.A. 79-303 states "Every person, association, company or corporation who owns or holds, subject to his or her control, any taxable personal property is required by law to list the property for assessment."

If any person, association, company or corporation has in their possession or custody any taxable personal property belonging to others, it shall be their duty to list the property with the appraiser in the name of the owner of the property.

Who pays the taxes due on property I sold or purchased?

Except for certain motor vehicles, property tax due on personal property is the responsibility of the owner of record January 1 of each year. For real property, if not addressed in private contract, the buyer is responsible for the property tax if the property is sold on or after January 1 and before November 1. The seller is responsible for the property tax if purchased on or after November 1 and prior to January 1. (K.S.A. 79-1805) Private contracts between buyer and seller will often specify who pays the taxes.

Why does the Register of Deeds exist?

This office is responsible for keeping a record of who owns what property. When you sell your property, someone checks our records to make sure that you have clear title to the property. If you are the buyer, someone is doing the same. They will need to know if the property is in your name (Deed) and is there are any liens against the property (Mortgage, Federal Tax Liens, State Tax Lien, etc.). The records here are also used to determine where to send the tax bill, where to put utility lines, how to make the best land usage plans and lots more.

Why is property taxed in Kansas?

Your tax dollars are used by local government to provide funding for roads, parks, fire protection, police protection, health and other services. Property taxes also fund public school districts. All property tax dollars received by the state are redistributed to public school districts or to educational building funds.