How do I get a road vacated (or closed)?

Roads are vacated by a legislative act by the Board of County Commissioners. The process to vacate a road is authorized by K.S.A. 68-102 et seq and, additionally, by Douglas County Charter Resolution No. 94-2-1. A hearing before the board and pertinent township board is required prior to action. Various public notices of the hearing(s) are required.

While it is possible for the Board of County Commissioners to vacate a road on their own initiative they are typically reluctant to do so without a petition.

Petitions to vacate a road may be submitted to the Public Works Department, 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS 66046.

If you have any questions you may call the Public Works Department by telephone at 785-832-5293.