June 12th, 2018
11:00am – 12:30
Meeting at Douglas County Public Works
1. Review and approve CJCC meeting minutes from April 10th, 2018
2. Stepping Up Initiative intensive technical assistance presentation – Council of State Governments Justice Center. Kati Habert/Deputy Program Director Behavioral Health, Rise Haneberg/Senior Policy Advisor, Jessica Gonzales/ Senior Research Associate
3. Staff updates - Pam Weigand/Robert Bieniecki
4. New business/discussion
5. Public comment
*Next meeting September 11th, 2018
NOTE: Two or more County Commissioners may be in attendance. No County business will be conducted.
Those in attendance included: Pam Weigand, Mike Gaughan, Eunice Ruttinger, Patrick Schmitz, Jennifer Ananda, Emily Haile, Chuck Epp, Edith Guffey, Charles Branson, Lori Alvarado, Chief Burns, Shaye Downing, and Judge Kittel. Ex-Officio members included: Craig Weinaug, and Mike Brouwer. Robert Bieniecki, CJCC Coordinator was also in attendance.
The following presenters from the Council of State Governments Justice Center: Kati Habert, Deputy Program Director Behavioral health; Rise Haneberg, Senior Policy Advisory; and Jessica Gonzales, Senior Research Associate, addressed the national crisis of people with mental illness in our jails.
• Being data driven-policy makers and practitioners face complex decisions have limited info
• Using best practices – not always able to provide services
• Continuity of care
• Tracking progress
• Committed leadership,
• data driven analysis,
• look at the data together
• See why people are flowing through the system.
• How are they getting to the system?
• Why are they staying longer and
• What services do we connect them to?
• Setting actionable targets
• Tract progress
• Look at screening and assessments
• Get timely screenings
• Know who is in the system
• Use screening and assessment information for decision making
• Data Drive analysis: at end of project review findings and policy recommendations, identify next steps and track progress.
Guffey moved approval of the minutes for 04/10/18. Ruttinger seconded and the motion carried.
Completion and Self-Assessment. Suggested to CJCC at next meeting do a one-day retreat. Find a day to spend more time on these things. In advance send self-assessment. Talk about where we are what we’ve done and where we’re going.
Gaughan discussed having the data on pretrial moved to a calendar year for comparison purposes. It will be an easier timeline to understand.