BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OF DOUGLAS COUNTY, KANSAS
Public comment will be taken for each regular agenda item as each item is discussed. Individuals will be limited to one comment per agenda item. Individuals are asked to come to the microphone, sign in, and state their name. Speakers are asked to sign in so that the spelling of names is correct in the minutes of the meeting. Speakers should address all comments/questions to the Commission.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 31, 2019
5:30 p.m. BUSINESS MEETING
-Proclamation to recognize the “Community Health Facility’s 20th Anniversary.” (Cynthia Lewis, Dan Partridge and Patrick Schmitz)
-Proclamation for “Farmer’s Market Week” in Douglas County. (Jasmin Moore)
(1) (a) Consider approval of Commission Orders;
(b) Consider approval of Notice to Township Board for Cereal Malt Beverage License for White Tail Run Winery LLC located at 2327 N 400 Road, Edgerton, KS (Clerk’s Office);
(c) Accounts payable.
(2) Executive session with the County Counselor to discuss personnel matters of non-elected personnel.
(3) General Public Comment
General Public Comment will be at the end of each meeting with a limit of one comment per person and keep their comments brief. Individuals may not give unused time to other speakers. As a general practice, the Commission will not discuss/debate these items, nor will the Commission make decisions on items presented during this time, rather they will refer the items to staff for follow up, if necessary.
(4) Committee Reports
(5) Commissioner and/or Administrator Miscellaneous
July 31, 2019
Derusseau called the Regular Session to order at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 with all Commissioners present.
Commissioner Kelly read a proclamation celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Community Health Department. Cynthia Lewis, CEO Visiting Nurses; Dan Partridge, CEO Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department; and Patrick Schmitz, CEO Bert Nash, discussed the 50-year history of community health services in Douglas County and discussed the celebration of the 20th year of the Community Health Facility collaboration.
The Board declared the week of August 4-10, 2019 as Farmer’s Market Week in Douglas County. Kim Criner, Food Policy Council Chair, discussed the success of the Farmer’s Market and new Tuesday location in South Park.
CONSENT AGENDA 07-31-19
Thellman moved approval of the following Consent Agenda:
► Commission Order Nos. 19-039 and 19-040 on file in the office of the County Clerk;
► Notice to Palmyra Township for a Cereal Malt Beverage License application for White Tail Run Winery LLC located at 2327 N 400 Road, Edgerton, Kansas; and
► Accounts payable in the amount of $678,305.90 to be paid on 08/01/19; and accounts payable in the amount of $1,070,135.15 to be paid on 08/02/19.
Motion was seconded by Kelly and carried 3-0.
EXECUTIVE SESSION 07-31-19
At 5:45 p.m., Commissioner Derusseau moved to recess into executive session for 30 minutes to discuss personnel matters of nonelected personnel in order to protect the privacy of the individual(s) involved. The County Commission will reconvene the open meeting in the County Commission Chamber at 6:15 p.m. Motion was seconded by Thellman and carried 3-0. Attendees included: Commissioners Derusseau, Thellman and Kelly; and Brad Finkeldei, Stevens and Brand.
At 6:15 p.m., Commissioner Derusseau extended the executive session for 30 minutes, to return to regular session at 6:45 p.m.
The Board returned to regular session at 6:40 p.m. No action was taken.
APPOINTMENTS 07-31-19– None.
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT 07-31-19 None.
COMMITTEE REPORTS 07-31-19
· Thellman attended the following meetings: LMH Community Equity Advisory Board which reviews LMH Health agencies to assure they are hiring all races; Douglas County Prevention Strategy Team meeting where school districts discuss alternative strategies for education; and the Douglas County Conservation District which presented federal programs available to farmers.
· It was the consensus of the Board there was no issue with Thellman to continue attending the Douglas County Conservation District meetings.
COMMISSIONERS AND/OR ADMINISTRATIVE MISCELLANEOUS 07-31-19
· Beth Ankerholz’s Retirement Party: Thursday, August 1 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. in Rooms A & B of the Community Health Facility, 2nd floor, 200 Maine Street.
· Two or more Commissioners may attend the Pie Judging at the Douglas County on Friday, August 2, Dreher Building, Douglas County Fairgrounds, 2110 Harper Street;
· Two or more Commissioners may attend the 20th Anniversary of the Community Health Building on Thursday, August 8, 200 Maine Street.
· Kansas Department of Revenue issued a 2019 Legislative Summary and 2020 Interest Rate Memo. The 2019 Legislative Summary highlights several separate bills that will impact the Division of Vehicles and the Division of Property Valuation. The 2020 Interest Rate Memo provides interest rates for counties.
Open Board Appointments
· Community Corrections Board Advisory Board (Social Services)-1 position open
· Douglas County Food Policy Council (Local food system/Ag Producer) - 2 positions open
· JAAA Advisory Council-1 position open
· JAAA Board of Directors-1 position open
· Lawrence-Douglas County Advocacy Council on Aging-10 positions open
Derusseau adjourned the meeting at 6:47 p.m.
Michelle Derusseau, Chair Patrick Kelly, Vice-Chair
Jamie Shew, County Clerk Nancy Thellman, Member