The Board of Zoning Appeals is a five-member, quasi-judicial board, which, through state statute, is granted the authority to consider and approve, or deny, applications requesting relief from the requirements of the Zoning Regulations involving private property within the Unincorporated Douglas County. The board's decisions are made following quasi-judicial procedure, to develop findings of fact, based on evidence presented to it during a public hearing.
Board Of Zoning Appeals
What is a variance?
A variance is a request to deviate from the current zoning requirements. if granted, it permits the owner to use the land in a manner not otherwise permitted by the adopted zoning and land use regulations. A variance acts as a relief valve for property owners who have unique circumstances that the existing regulations do not strictly account for.
What are the Board of Zoning Appeals powers?
The Board of Zoning Appeals has broad powers which differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The authority granted to the Board of Zoning Appeals in Douglas County generally are to consider:
- appeals of administrative orders, requirements, decisions, or determinations;
- setback requirements;
- signage regulations, to include size, location, and lumination;
- temporary second dwellings;
- and more.
What criteria does the Board look at when making a decision?
- That the variance request arises from such conditions that are unique to the property in question and not ordinarily found in the same zoning or district and are not created by actions of the property owner or applicant;
- That granting the variance would not adversely affect the rights of adjacent property owner or residents;
- That strict application of the regulations for which the variance is requested would constitute unnecessary hardship upon the property owner represented in the application;
- That the variance desired would not adversely affect the public health, safety, morals, order, convenience, prosperity, or general welfare; and
- That granting the variance desired would not be opposed to the general spirit and intent of these Regulations.
Upcoming BZA Meetings:
ZBZA-2021-0013: An application from Myers Services for a variance request for a 16 ft. reduction of the required 20 ft. side yard setback for a new 38 ft. x 13 ft. solar array on a lot zoned ‘Lake Oriented Business’, located at 1423 E 900 Rd.
ZBZA-2021-0014: An application from David Hollingsworth for a variance request for a 20 ft. reduction of the required 30 ft. rear setback and a 10’ reduction of the required 20’ side yard setback on a lot zoned ‘General Business’, for the construction of a new 36 ft. x 36 ft. x 14 ft. barn, located at 1804 E 1500 Rd.
Topic: 6.21.21 BZA Meeting
Time: Jun 21, 2021 10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 970 9702 9362
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US
Agendas, Minutes, and Staff Reports
Agendas, Minutes, and Staff Reports on upcoming and prior Board of Zoning Appeals meetings. In an effort for increased transparency, agendas, minutes, and staff reports will regularly be posted for public access. If you seek additional information, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the meeting date and applicant name for faster response.