Sustainability at Youth Services
Douglas County is Providing leadership, making decisions and taking actions to serve Douglas County by integrating a healthy environment, vibrant economy, and livable society to benefit current and future generations.
Improving the sustainability of our operations for the future can have immediate benefits for County residents today. Many measures that help us achieve sustainability can also reduce costs, improve the health of our residents, create jobs, and protect the Douglas County landscapes we call home.
Youth Services Sustainability success stories:
- Installed Solar Thermal Panels producing a more efficient hot water supply
- Expanded recycling – offered to staff
- 2 Hybrid administrative vehicles
- Retrofitted all fluorescent lighting to T8s
- Eliminated personal printers, all of the departments printing needs are done using centralized multi-functioning copiers.
- Installed water conservation controllers in cells to reduce water waste and limit the ability of detainees to cause damage by flooding rooms.
- Gardens for 4-H projects, small fruit production projects, shares excess produce with jail.