When Vehicle Inspections Are Required
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspections are required in Kansas if:
- A vehicle has a title from a state other than Kansas or a foreign country;
- A vehicle has been assembled, reconstructed, reconstituted or restored from one or more vehicles;
- The proper VIN of a vehicle is in doubt;
- A vehicle is being sold on a bill of sale as an antique and it is a 1950 model year or newer;
- A vehicle is going from a non-highway or salvage title to a formerly non-highway or rebuilt salvage.
This inspection must be completed before the Kansas Department of Revenue will issue a license tag or title for the vehicle.
The VIN inspections are conducted by trained law enforcement personnel employed by the Highway Patrol or designated law enforcement agencies across the state. The majority of these inspections are conducted at a fixed location in each county.
Here is the contact information for the VIN inspection offices in Douglas County, Kansas:
Kansas Highway Patrol - VIN Inspection Office
- I-70 Business Center
- 1035 N. 3rd Street Suite 107, Lawrence, KS 66044
- Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Kansas Highway Patrol's VIN Inspection Website
- Map of VIN Inspection Office (GIF format)
Baldwin City Police Department
- 811 8th Street, Baldwin City, KS 66006
- Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Baldwin City Police Department's Website
Please bring the following items with you:
- The vehicle that needs to have the inspection.
- A valid driver's license.
- The title to the vehicle - If your lienholder has possession of your title please call them and have them fax to our (VIN) office the front and back of the title along with a cover sheet from their organization. Remember to get the name of the individual that you requested it from. Please call our office, at 785-842-4759, to verify that we received your fax before arriving at our office. We cannot proceed without it. Our fax number is 785-840-0284.
- There is a $20.00 fee. For prior salvage and salvage vehicles there is a $25.00 fee. Cash or a local check only.