Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


New Vehicle Registration

To Register a Newly Purchased Vehicle:

Original TitleThe original must be presented, we can not accept a copy
VIN Inspection from Kansas Highway PatrolAn inspection is needed when the title is from another state regardless of where the vehicle was purcahsed. For more information, visit Vehicle Inspections
Proof of insuranceCopy of insurance card with insurance provider, policy #, and expiration date, we do accept insurance on cell phones


Power of AttorneyRequired if both owners cannot be present for joint title and registration. 
Sales Tax ReceiptsRequired if purchased from a licensed Kansas dealer
Bill of SaleRequired only if purchase price and purchase date are not listed on the title, or if purchased from an out of state dealer or purchase price and date are altered/illegible.
Lien ReleaseRequired if the current title shows a lien and you have paid off the loan or a loan is listed on the title under the seller's name.
Certificate of TrustRequired when titling a vehicle into a Trust name. 

*This is not an all-inclusive list, and additional documents may be required for specific transactions.  Please contact the Motor Vehicle office with questions. 

If you go to a motor vehicle office:

  • Secure a place in line with our queueing system: No Wait Inside
  • You will receive a text message notifying you that you joined the line, reply back when you have arrived at the correct location.
  • Please bring required documents. 
  • Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check, money order or cashier’s check.
    • There is a convenience fee (2.35%) charged by the credit card payment processor. 
    • There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.
    • Must have ID to pay by card

If you use the title drop off service:

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Tax Questions 785-832-5178
Motor Vehicle Questions 785-832-5273