Wells Park was donated in 1971 to Douglas County by William Wells. The park is open from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. A picnic area with tables and shelter are available. Also on site is a small playground. Two observation towers offering a great scenic view of the City of Lawrence are the park's main focal point. As well as an ADA-accessible look out called the Passerine Pavilion was added in 2021.
The park also contains a short nature trail for hiking. Follow the winding entry-road to the top of the hill to enter the parking lot. The park is located 3/4 mile east of US59 on the south side of County Route 458 (N. 1000 Road).