Guideline for visitors to the juvenile detention center. Please note: we reserve the right to deny anyone access to visitation for failure to adhere to our visitation guidelines. Visitation is by appointment only. Please call 785-331-1300
Juvenile Detention Visitation Rules
What is the schedule for visitation?
Visits must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- Monday through Friday 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- Weekends, school holiday breaks (i.e. winter break, spring break, etc.), and any unified school district 497 observed holidays when students do not attend school, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Weekend and holiday visits will exclude any time during shift change 2:30pm to 3:30pm and on staff training days 1pm to 5pm.
How long is a visit?
Each juvenile gets a maximum of 2 visits per week.
The length of each of these visits depends on the level the youth has acquired in detention.
- Level 1 = 30 minutes
- Level 2= 45 minutes
- Level 3= 1 hour
- Level 4= 1 hour 15 minutes
- Level 5= 1 hour 30 minutes
Please note: if you are traveling from a distance please let staff know.
What are the visitation restrictions and rules?
- Leave your things in a locker in the lobby or in your car. No Cell phones, purses, car keys etc. are allowed in the visitation.
- No cameras or video equipment allowed, unless approved by Administration in advance.
- No pocket knives or weapons of any kind.
- No chewing tobacco, cigarettes, rolling papers or lighters.
- No clothing tops that expose the breast, including cleavage, the torso, and/or the back.
- No see through or revealing clothing.
- No low cut necklines.
- No spaghetti straps.
- No tank tops.
- No halter tops.
- No skirts, shorts, or skorts that are shorter than three inches above the back of the knee.
- No gang affiliated attire.
- No drug or alcohol related attire.
- No anti-social messages.
- Inappropriate or offensive tattoos must be covered.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Please do not wear a lot of jewelry.
- No food.
- No drink.
- No gum.
- All visitors must sign in prior to every visit.
- All visitors must provide a picture ID.
- All visitors will be scanned by the metal detector.
- All visitors must be on the approved visit list.
- Any juveniles under the age of 18 must be approved by the judge to be included on the phone/visit list.
** All commissary money and any hygiene products for residents must be given to staff before the visit begins. **