Douglas County is the host county responsible for the operation of a regional juvenile detention center serving a 13 county area in Northeast Kansas. The detention center is licensed for 18 residents.
What services does the Detention Center provide?
- Detention for youth awaiting court action
- Detention for youth serving court imposed sanctions
- Age range of 10 to 18 years of age
- Serves both male and female youth
- Length of stay is 1 - 90 days
- This length can be extended by the judge.
Which counties are served?
Anderson; Brown; Chase; Coffey; Douglas; Jackson; Jefferson; Lyon; Miami; Nemaha; Osage; Pottawatomie; Wabaunsee
Other Detention facts:
- Detention Center staff assists with Surveillance of youth supervised on ISP/COR through field home visits and telephone contact.
- The detention center has been booking all juvenile for the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office since June 13, 2003.
- County & Per Diem Funded
- Detention Center staff assist with monitoring of house arrest clients (both juvenile and adult) and their locations between the hours of 5pm and 8am, and also during weekends.
- They also assist with connection and removal of house arrest bracelets and equipment during those same hours.
- Detention Center staff act as backup for Juvenile Intake when there is no intake worker available to respond for juveniles being brought into intake. This can include, but is not limited to children in need of care or offenders being booked into detention.