Renewing motor vehicles tags in Douglas County, Kansas.
Tag Renewal Information
Renew In Person
To renew in person, you will need:
- One of the following:
- Renewal form sent out by State of Kansas (if you did not receive your renewal notice you can print it off at http://mvs.dmv.kdor.ks.gov/PrintRenewals/.)
- Current Kansas registration receipt
- Tag number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Proof of liability insurance from insurance provider. Proof must contain insurance company name, policy number, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), year and make of vehicle, effective date and expiration date.
- Checks accepted with picture ID (driver's license)
- All major credit/debit cards, a processing fee will apply
- Get in line at motor vehicles
Renew By Mail
To renew by mail, you will need all of the following:
- Renewal form sent out by State of Kansas or a registration receipt showing the correct vehicle and license plate number
- Proof of insurance (may be a photo copy)
- Check or money order made out to Douglas County Treasurer
To renew online, all of the following must be true:
- The vehicle is currently registered in Kansas.
- You have a Kansas Motor Vehicle registration renewal notice that contains a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Your address on the renewal notice must be current.
- The vehicle is currently insured by a participating insurance company.
- Cannot be delinquent on personal property taxes.
- License plate cannot be expired.
- You have a valid VISA, MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express, or e-check ($1.00 echeck fee, 2.5% card fee)
If all of the above are not true, you will need to come to one of our locations or mail in your renewal with proof of insurance.
Web-Tags - KS Online Vehicle Tag Renewals
To renew your tags online, visit the iKan website.
Starting July 1, 2015 drivers who have renewed online will have a 10 day grace period from the day their tags expire to receive the new decal in the mail. Drivers must carry their online renewal paid receipt in the vehicle until the decal arrives or save the confirmation receipt on their mobile devices, either will serve as proof for law enforcement.
You can now re-print your application by visiting the Kansas Department of Revenue's Print Renewals page and entering your license plate number.
Vehicle Tag Renewal Dates
|Alpha By Name||Earliest Renewal Date||Expire|
|E, F, G||4-15||5-31|
|J, K, L||6-15||7-31|
|M, N, O||7-15||8-31|
|P, Q, R||8-15||9-30|
|T, V, W||10-15||11-30|
|U, X, Y, Z||11-15||12-31|
Non-RV trailers and trucks with a gross weight of 16,000 pounds or more renew from Jan 2nd through last day of Feb. Enforcement date is March 1st.